I had anticipated three outcome choices and I was almost right. I figured today's visit would decide: 1. I would definitely need chemo OR 2. I would definitely not need chemo OR 3. I MIGHT need chemo and they would base it on a test of my excised tumor tissue sample (called Oncotype Dx test). Dr. DaCosta said that I could opt for any of those three choices today--depending on my wishes I could say Yes, No or Maybe-depending on the Oncotype DX test outcome--and he would start the ball rolling in any of those directions.
After he said that I could start radiation first while waiting for the results of the Oncotype Dx Test (takes about 3 weeks), I knew that was the way to go. Tomorrow, I will be setting an appointment with the radiation oncologist, Dr. Cirrone (already met with him in December). During this visit they will place tiny tattoos over certain areas where the beam will be aimed, and then they map out the area, and then possibly send me for pics to see if everything is correct. After all that, I will be scheduling appointments with them, 5 days a week, about 15 minutes each day, for a total of about 6 1/2 weeks. I should be about halfway through treatment when the results of the oncotype test come in.
At least something is starting soon!!!