Thursday, November 27, 2008

Update

I am meeting with a radiation oncologist on December 8th. He will decide whether or not I am eligible for a radiation treatment called a mammocyte. Mostly it is used in women over 50. However, it is not unheard of to use it in someone younger. This type of radiation is a balloon that gets inserted into the cavity of where the lump is removed. It then releases the radiation over a number of days and then radiation is complete. It sounds like a much better alternative than traditional radiation which takes place an hour a day, 5 days a week, over a course of about 6 weeks.

The biopsy was inconclusive, so now I have to wait for the lumpectomy when they pull the sentinel node, to find out if there is cancer in the nodes. If so, then I need chemo. If not, I won't. Let's hope for NOT.

Good news--my cancer is estrogen and progesterone positive. This means that they will know how to treat it. Probably with a 5 year dose of Tamoxifen, which pulls out the estrogen in the body. UGH--instant menopause--can't wait (can you hear the sarcasm). I guess if it gives me the best chance of survival, that's the way to go.

No comments: