Thursday, October 30, 2008

Asymmetrical Something or Other

The mammogram that I had a couple of weeks ago led to my gyn calling, less than 4 hours after I left the test, and leaving a generic message that he had received my report. After playing phone tag with his office, I gave up for Tuesday. Wednesday morning, the mammo place left a message saying they needed more pics. Thursday, I finally heard back, after some phone tag, from the gyn who said they saw something and need a better view of it.

SO on the 22nd, I went back to the imaging place and had two more pics (mammography style-this time with the machine going sideways at a 90 degree angle). Then the radiologist viewed them and ordered an ultrasound. After the ultrasound, he ordered one more picture (more squeezing) and then I got to get dressed.

The radiologist called me in and I got to see a giant sized picture of my mammogram on a huge flat screen monitor--my boobs have never looked so big! He showed me the area of concern--If you're looking at me the spot would be at about 8 or 9 o-clock as you face my left breast (which would be on your right). Sooo, the radiologist said it was probably nothing, but he was recommending that I get an MRI for more information.

Back to phone tag. I called my gyn office on Thursday and asked them to have the doctor call me on my cell. He, of course, calls my house when I'm not home and leaves another generic message. Friday, he's not in, Monday, he's in emergency surgery, finally I talk to him on Tuesday. He tells me he'll fax the prescription over to the imaging center.

When I call the imaging center on Wednesday, they tell me that my insurance company has to approve the procedure, and I have to wait to make the appointment for that and for another interesting reason. I have to wait until I get my period, then call, and make the appointment from 5 to 14 days after my period starts. Luckily, I shouldn't have to wait too long...it's due on Monday. Hopefully, by that time, I'll have the approval as well...as long as the gyn got the message I left the office about how I need an approval.

I think it's time to contact our health care advocate!

No comments: