Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Montauk-The End

Many of our good friends have campers. They bought them around 8 years ago and started camping all over Long Island and up into Connecticut (Strawberry Park). We decided to not get a camper. If I'm on vacation, I want to be on vacation. I tried camping at Strawberry Park, and although I had fun, it was a lot of work--cooking, cleaning, making beds, etc...I thought to myself, I could be home doing the same thing. Better yet-for the same price (camper and site cost 1200 for the week), I could've been in a nice clean hotel where they clean and make your bed for you AND you don't worry about having to request a pump-out.

Tuesday evening we headed to Montauk-Dave had to work so it was just the girls and me. We got there and my friend Marie was beside herself because their grey water was overflowing (at least it wasn't the black stuff) and their power had a problem and the 4 teenage boys she had in her camper (2 were her own sons) had ravaged the food supply. Her husband Rami wasn't due out until Wednesday evening. Not sure if she's decided to speak to him yet...

We brought the kids into town and they went to The Movie. That's what the movie theater is called in Montauk. It is a small building and shows one flick at 7 and 9:15 pm. The adults headed onto Main St. to have dinner. We went to a place called Shagwong's. Yeah, I know the name is weird, but the food was delicious. We got mussels (red and white sauces), baked clams, and a mix of shrimp, scallops, and mussels in an amazing broth (as good as Water Zooeys of Garden City). They had a prix fix menu for $21.95 and my tuna and salmon was juicy! It's just so funny how when you get a fixed menu price, and split 3 $14 appetizers amongst 9 people, it ends up costing $48 a person. So let me add this in to the camping experience....

After losing a measly $5 on Texas Hold 'em, I retired for the night with my wonderful oxycodone. Listening to the waves crash right outside the camper, combined with the pain going down my shoulder to my hand being numbed, I had no trouble falling asleep. THIS was wonderful! Nothing prepared me for the sheer pleasure of waking up to a cool sunny day with the gentle swooshing of water on the shoreline. It was soothing and put me in a very happy place to start the day. If only Dave could be her enjoying it with me...

Now I understand the benefits of camping-to have a home away from home and be able to enjoy new places and experiences. Even with the issues poor Marie had this trip, it probably accounts for about 2% of all her camping experiences. And if I was home, I'd be doing the same type of chores, but being in such a gorgeous place makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: